Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Momma Goddess: a Redo

She Wolf
Momma Goddess
Hair on fire
Eyes narrowed
Dark as coals

Hissing through gritted teeth
Ears flattened like an angry cat
The earth moved
Dark and ominous

Impending storm
the room filled with her presence....
"I'm gonna make
a man out of you if it kills me"
Pinned against a wall
my brother's burgeoning
manhood melted,
puddled on the floor...
Then the wind shifted
GINGER ANN!
the sound of the last 'n' taking
a distinctively higher pitch....
Now I was in trouble
Should have kept my mouth shut...
I saw my life pass
before my eyes....
Duck and cover
Too late

backhand already in motion....

But when the fury
of the tempest past
and the darkness receded
Brown eyes smiled
warmth and safety and light
Sanctuary in a hostile world...
The laughter, the joy
the acceptance
A belief in a better you..
chameleon molded to her children's needs
children she didn't really understand
but really did...
She was candles
and gentle rains
the smell of dinner in an empty house
Flash Gordon and Godzilla
on a Saturday afternoon...
Larger than life
ever present presence
Ever watching
Even now
Even more
that she's gone
Forever immortal
Forever in us

Goddess ...

Momma....

2 comments:

  1. wOW....OUR MOMS WERE SO MUCH ALIKE!! i LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are vivid and true. Your mother would be honored and proud. You brought back images and memories of her and that is the most a writer can hope for.

    ReplyDelete